Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pooping Through Percoset: The Wimp's Guide to Recovery After a Prophylactic Bilateral Mastectomy

So I'm all funny again, you see.

A couple of days on the couch and a follow-up removal of my drain has me feeling less doomsday and such.  The stabby, hurty pains are faint now.  The doc said that "they'd done lots of work right there" so that might be the reason for the pain.  I have no idea what that means but hoorah, I'm getting better.



After both the initial surgery and this exchange, I was sent home with percoset, a painkiller.  I hate it; it makes my mind cloudy and I was writing every day, so I went off of it pretty quickly the first go round.  This time I took it regularly (as in every 4 hours regularly) during those first hurty days.  One side effect is..da-dum: constipation. Yes, I'm the lucky winner of a) new foreign objects under my pec muscles; b) stabby pains; and c) the complete absence of poops.

Buuuuuuuuut lest we forget why this detail is teensy in the grand scheme of things...oh yeah! A family history of breast, uterine,  and prostate cancers! 


And let me tell you: any food you...don't want "with" you for a few days-- don't eat it. I'm just sayin.' 

Grody enough?

K, I'll stop.

xoxo,
13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...