Monday, October 24, 2011

Too Cheap

I was talking with a group of friends and the subject of "worth vs. value" came up.  Admittedly this is something I think about a lot, given that my hippie- like ideals don't always mesh with the kind of shoes I think are beautiful. 

Over cocktails, we quickly shared a coupla things we drop ducats on, and places where we skimp:

Friend A- drop: fitness apparel. (She's a triathlete.) skimp: basically anything else.
Friend B- drop: her car, organic food. skimp: clothes. Quantity and cuteness are all that matter!
Friend C- drop: clothes and shoes. skimp: her rent.

This was a hard question for me for some reason.  At first I thought it was because I tend to select the best of what I can afford and just keep it moving with everything else, no hard feelings.  But that isn't really true.  My heart says Prius, buy my mind says BMW.  Now that's a hard feeling.

{cardi- jcrew; top- corey lynn calter; pants- gap}


Skimps: 
-car. Ours is 10 years old...a beater. 
-hair. I rarely go to the salon. After years of relaxers, there is a lot of power in natural hair for me. No salon is part of that! 
-technology. Other than my laptop, I don't really stay up to date with tech stuff, though I reckon that as a media researcher I'll be compelled to change this soon. 

Drops:
-clothes, bras, bags and shoes. Duh. It is more about putting out my best self and comfort (sorry, the expensive stuff is often made WAY better- think shoes!) than being a label whore. 
-hair. Wait, isn't that a skimp? I don't make salon visits, but I put out for thick, sulfate- and paraben- free leave-in and rinse-out conditioners. 
-travel and education. What can I say...I'm young.



And of course, I drop ducats for food.

What do you splurge and spend on?

xoxo,
13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...