Monday, June 13, 2011

Guilty!

Um.

I haven't been journaling or measuring my food.  I'm pretty sure I've lost weight, but at 208 pounds I was "pretty sure" I wasn't fat, so I can't really be trusted. Haven't weighed either. Interestingly, as my running progresses, I've found that blood sugar swings have virtually stopped.  

This is HUGE. Or, more appropriately, HUGE.

The short version: I've been able to "feel" food my whole life- highs and lows from garbage food makes me sluggish, irritable, and shaky.  When I found Atkins 8 years ago and learned more about whole foods, it was like a switch was flipped. But even then, some whole foods were off- limits  because of how they made me feel-- oatmeal, for instance, or other whole grains.

And now...I can eat these things.  After almost ten years of not eating corn, I can eat it without feeling like going to bed afterward.  (Grilled, wowza!)  I made  from- scratch cupcakes for Lovebug's birthday and ate one...and did not get the shaky feeling I remembered from real sugar and flour.

It's almost like this running stuff has changed the chemistry of my body, and it is so weird! 
I don't have any intention of returning to SAD, but the idea of eating higher- glycemic stuff without panic is nothing short of miraculous for me.

It's almost as if my body is thanking me. And while my weight loss is at a total standstill, I feel better. I repeat: my weight loss is at a standstill. Siiiiiiiiigh.

I'm off to Memphis tomorrow for the first leg of my journey home-- first to my hometown and then to West Africa.  I'm excited to see my brother and his new fiance, and maybe an old family friend from high school.

Did anyone else notice physiological changes from exercise? I find this fascinating...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...