Monday, May 23, 2011

The Motherland-- with my Mother

I am going back to Africa.

My first trip was New Years of 2010, which we spent in Cairo watching the sun rise over the Sphinx and the pyramids.

{top, shoes- anthro; skirt- jcrew}

This time, I am going home-- literally.  The moms and I had our DNA analyzed, and we are apparently linked to a tribe from the Sierra Leone area. (Afterward, we mourned how depressing it was that we had to PAY to get an idea about our heritage...something so many take for granted. The issue of my heritage actually came up again during DNA testing for the BRCA genes, because ancestry on dad's side is sadly undetermined after a generation or two.) Since then I have been more than curious about West Africa.  Moms is retiring this year, and vowed to take the trip with me while she is still young and pert. 

twirly, twirly
Our trip is set for next month.  In the meantime, I am a-tizzy with visas, vaccinations, and malaria pills.
{I wonder how strange it would be to go running in Accra?}
 
I fully expect that it will change my life.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

xoxo,
13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...